As Lillian Hellman once said "Cynicism is an unpleasant way of telling the truth"
Plus there is just so much to be cynical about .... don't agree? Well here here are couple of things I'm cynical about just to give you an idea.
- psychoanalysts who keep their patients coming back for 20 years
- expecting rewards in the hereafter
- the apparent indifference of God
- the possibility that God is a myth
- the possibility that God is a jokester
- the success of writers and artists who sell out
- the wretchedness of writers and artists who don't
- the shameful exclusion of non-Western cultures from history textbooks
- the term"Third World"
- realizing that the answers will always elude you if you search for them
- knowing that you're still clueless after all these years
- realizing that all the wise men, philosophers and self-help authors were clueless, too
I'll leave you with this anonymous qoute ...
If we (cynics) were activists, we'd do something
constructive about our discontentment. But we're smart enough to know that we
won't prevail, and probably a little too lazy to attempt any labour that's
predestined to fail. So we retaliate with our special brand of wounded wit.
If we can't defeat our oppressors, at least we can mock them in good
fellowship. That's about as much justice as a cynic can expect.