Be still oh heart of mine
Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The problem with being young is that you tend forget that you are mortal. And risk is swear word in one's vocabulary. And I've done some pretty risky stuff in my life thus far.
Like driving myself home after having 'couple of drinks'. Or even worse letting some strange guy I've only met for five minutes drive me home. Granted, when logic returns I shudder at the thought of my lesuirely drive home with a possible 21st century Jack the Ripper. And the only reason I'm still breathing is probably because of my quirky humour and dazzling smile.
So it was only a matter of time before the full realisation of my mortality would come and smack the black off me.
And it came in the form of an HIV test. My heart has never beaten so fast. Waiting in that room for the doctor to come in and prick my finger was the longest 30 seconds of my life. Pictures of my escapades ran through my head. And I started wondering how ex boyfriends of mine were doing. It didn't help that I had my cell phone with me and I was sorely tempted to start ringing them up, like Chris Rock once recalled in one of his shows.
Finally the doctor arrived, a cheerful man - I disliked him on the spot!
He asked me about my sex life. I told him about my committed relationship with Metal-Man. Stressing the word committed. With a smug smile he explained how that meant nothing and proceeded with the test.
The thing looked like a pregnancy test and for the next ten minutes I watched as the red bar moved passed the first indicator of infection then HOVERED over the second. Then finally comming to a stop near the marker that says you are negative. Smiling, the lovely doctor shook my hand gave me tips on how to mantain my status and offered me a free t-shirt (what a nice guy).
posted by Wannabe Cynic at 7:08 AM | Permalink |


2 Witty replies:


Google
 
Web The Wannabe Cynic