That Ad
Tuesday, September 19, 2006
There has been allot of talk about the "I am African" ad campaigns against AIDS. But as a bona fide Wannabe Cynic and a currently residing African I have to say I find the whole ad campaign insulting.
The latest trend with celebrities at the moment is saving "the poor hungry natives" in Africa. Enter Jolie and her zombie sitter Pitt in Namibia then there is dear 'ol Oprah building a Girls' School right here in SA. Much as I appreciate what Oprah is trying to do, that money could have been used to build 20 rural schools all around the country instead of just the one. The special school where girls had to go through intensive interviews just to get in. I think someone's priorities got mixed up somewhere.
Now there is her highness Madonna of to save a village in Malawi.
All this added attention to Africa I feel is doing the opposite. Instead of the good these "demi god" celebrities are out achieve they're instead adding to the misconception that this is a continent that has its hands streched out like a beggar asking for change.
It gives the impression that we Africans cannot solve our own problems. And yes we know we have have huge problems on this continent but the recent attention makes us seem well pathetic.

posted by Wannabe Cynic at 3:56 AM | Permalink |


3 Witty replies:


  • At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    You said it WC!  
  • At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I hate to tell you this, but we ARE pathetic WC!

    I'm an African myself and my take is no matter what the motive, help is help and goodness knows our leaders aren't getting the job done. Why stop someone who does?  
  • At 3:13 AM, Blogger Wannabe Cynic

    We'll have to agree to disagree.  
Google
 
Web The Wannabe Cynic